Twitter is a real-time short messaging service that works over multiple networks and devices.
Twitter is multiple times a day tool. You need to be communicating when other people check-in to read what is in their feed. You want to stay visible in your follower’s feeds. I use a lot of scheduled tweets to try to reach as many followers as possible.
- Send quick updates to a mass of people on multiple devices – i.e. cell phones, email, etc.
- Fundraise and take payments through TwitPay application
- Update your Twitter status via Facebook
- Share links with a wide audience
- Encourage people who are using your product or talking about your cause
- Live customer service – see an example
- Correct misinformation about your product or cause – use monitoring applications like TweetDeck
- Builds Google ratings by increasing visits by interested customers
- Friends invite friends to build your reach virally
- Social networking tool to find people you won’t find on other mediums
- Schedule tweets with third party tools like HootSuite
- Only handles short (140 characters) messages
- Needs to work with another platform to convey information – i.e. links
- Up to the minute updates are only useful if you have a smart phone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc)
- Hard to keep information private – unless you protect your tweets and not really the point of Twitter
- TERRIBLE search function – I advise using Google to find users
Great Uses for Twitter
- Tweet as a mascot or character – it can be mind numbing to try to tweet in character or a long period of time, but worth a try
- Quick updates about an event – create buzz with updates and reveals on event plans — This could even work on a personal level for family reunions or weddings – create a protected twitter account which protects your updates and only follow people who are involved in the event
- Offer Twitter only deals – tweet coupon codes and more fun stuff for your followers
- Add humor to your feed – you need to be entertaining and informative – Portland Red Cross does a great job of this!